4th Mo Co E, Hulston Mill, MO June 12-13, 2010

 Below the attendance records is the long winded AAR. The 4th’s alter ego is the 21st Missouri, USA.

 An execellent TV shot.

Elections Results

1.       1st Lt Scott George

2.       2nd Sgt Charles Gentry

3.       1st Cpl Ryan Truster

4.       2nd Cpl Clayton Kelly

Congratulations to these men. Obviously the company has put confidence in you and your abilities.


The Good:

                  1.       Good friends of course.

2.       Possible new soldier.

3.       Good to have Richard Morris, Ed George with us and to see Bill Lyons.

4.       All the fights. Although we were burning lots of powder and became very tired we were never bored or without something to do.

5.       I enjoyed our strong civilian contingent.

6.       Dance caller was our own Miss Jamie Stepaniak.

7.       A big thanks to all those who showed. I really appreciate you being there.

            The Bad:


1.       Union again, but at least this time Skip and Sam volunteered to go blue next year.

                  2.       It was HOT!

                  3.       Our attendance was adequate for such a close event. We need to improve on this. They don’t get any closer.


The Ugly:

                  1.       My Saturday afternoon UFC! The only saving grace was that I won.

2.       Did me mention it was HOT and HUMMID!

In attendance for 21st Missouri:

1.       Captain Daniel Keith

2.       1st Lt Scott George (Sun)

3.       1st Sgt Laurence Bryan

4.       2nd Sgt Charles Gentry

5.       1st Cpl Chris Warwick (Sat)

6.       Private Diz Carver

7.       Private Ethan Davis (Sat)

8.       Private Greg Gentry

9.       Private Ed George

10.   Musician Eathan Ed George

11.   Private Clayton Kelly (Sat)

12.   Private Jim Moran

13.   Private Richard Morris (Sat)

14.   Private Dalton Wright (Sat)

In attendance for the Home Guard:

      1.       Commodore John Duff

      2.       Private Kellyn Bailey

      3.       Private Travis Franklin

4.       Private Andrew Kasmar

5.       Private Daniel Kasmar (Sun)

6.       Private Ryan Truster (Sat)

Civilians in attendance:

1.       Heather Duff and family

2.       Carolyn Carver

3.       Cheryl Franklin

4.       Sara Gonzales

5.       Michelle Hilderbrand

6.       Maxine Moran

7.       Brittany Nemecheck

8.       Terri Spencer

9.       Jamie Stepaniak

10.   Christian Warwick

11.    Zach Warwick 

Dear Colonel Amend:

My compliments!

I have the honor to report that, although the men of 21st Missouri was not available for action at Holden, MO, we were engaged with secessionist and their civilian sympathizer. We have at least in the short term cleared the Hulston Mill, MO area of those who would commit perfidy and treason against our grand Union and saved the last remaining mill in southwest Missouri for our use.

I will say that it was a hotly contested set of days that lay before us with 7 different actions that my men bravely stood their ground as commanded by the honorable Senator Jim Lane of Kansas.

Having senior rank I was placed in over all command of the union troops. The 5th Kansas commanded by Captain Wiessar and small detachment of Home Guard commanded by Commodore John Duff served on both the right and left flanks of the 21st Missouri.

Saturday morning on June 12th General Schofield read and issued a proclamation pertaining to order number 11 to the town’s people of Hulston Mill. We immediately evicted several families with southern sympathies. Not long after the eviction we advanced upon a Confederate encampment. Having taken them by total surprise laid into them with hot lead. They were decimated offering absolutely no response. We retired to camp with no causalities. The enemy’s causalities were undetermined.

Not long after we returned to our encampment I noticed what seemed to be an unscheduled (our spies had not informed us of any action taking place this early in the day.) advance of confederate cavalry, dismounted cavalry and infantry. I immediately placed guards at the bridge crossing the spring fed stream and had the rest of my troops prepared and be placed in defensive position. This must have been in retaliation of our unscheduled raid on their encampment.  Our left flank was hit by men from the 15th NW Arkansas, our front was hit by Elliot’s Scouts commanded by Sam Scanton and our right flank was hit by the 26th Dismounted Texas commanded by Captain Skip Taylor. We were in a terrible situation and greatly outnumbered. I sent a runner to go get the Home Guard and help shore up our left flank. The 5th Kansas held and supported our right flank. Finally I asked Jim Robinson’s battery to move up in support which evened the odds dramatically. After a few minutes I requested a parlay with the Elliot’s Scouts commander and asked him to either surrender or withdrawal as a tactical draw. Luckily for us he chose to withdrawal, because even with the cannon support we were in a terrible bind being greatly outnumbered. The 21st Missouri lost 3 men. The enemy lost 2 men, one being an officer.

Later that afternoon we were out on a scouting mission just outside of Hulston Mill. I was giving the men some rest before we returned to camp, when a rider happens on our pickets. I sent out the Home Guard as skirmishers and had the men of the 21st Mo and 5th KS quickly put on their gear and form defensively until we could ascertain the enemy’s intent. To our disadvantaged, the enemy had two guns to our one. We went out to meet the enemy in very open terrain.  With cavalry approaching our right I ordered the 5th Kansas to refuse our flank. We pushed the enemy’s dismounted infantry to the tree line. At that time our lone gun is put out of action. Being out numbered and with no artillery or cavalry support I decided that discretion is the better part of valor and started a tactical withdrawal toward our fortified encampment. Unfortunately, with the Home Guard being inexperienced our right flank quickly disintegrated. The 5th KS as well as the 21st Mo took heavy casualties and the orderly withdrawal turned disorderly quickly. The 21st Mo and 5th KS took 12 casualties and I fear all are dead for we had to leave them where they lay. Since the 5th KS and I had our red leggings on I think the rebels where less than generous. Our casualties were heavy. I am not sure of rebel losses but I would estimate it at 5.

In the evening we were requested to escort a gold shipment by wagon into the town of Hulston Mill in exchange for freshly milled grain. Again we were engaged by confederates. Know the how dastardly the rebel cavalry acted we positioned the 21st Mo is repel quick raids by the enemy trying to take us by surprise. I learned from early engagements of this tactic by the rebels and was prepared. After making it safely to the Mill with some minor skirmishes we were then attack in force by dismounted infantry and cavalry. This time with support from a newly manned gun we decimated the rebels and drove them away as we moved the grain safely away. Our causalities were light with 2 wounded. The rebels lost 15 men. Our black flag was flying so we gave no quarter to the wounded.

At this point I must say that 1st Sergeant Laurence Bryan was given a brevet appointment to Captain for the above actions as I was the overall union commander. He deserves praise and honor for his handling of the troops.

After our evening meal the town had a dance for I am sure they felt safer now that Union troops controlled the town. I do believe that some of citizenry that attended the dance were either Missouri State Guard or at least loyal to the south but they made no trouble so I was content not to stir anything up.

Late in the evening there was some contention nearby and night fighting. Our 2nd Sergeant Charles Gentry directed the men and I retired to allow him to operate as he saw fit. Casualties where 1 wounded and 1 scared after seeing a half naked man. I will also report the Jim Robinson’s battery put on a splendid display of night firing for the town’s people.

Sunday morning Lt. Scott George had joined the 21st and took command of the 21st. The 5th KS had to return home to give a report of Saturday actions and our spies told us that 15th NW Arkansas also returned to their homeland to give an account of the rebel’s actions. After lunch we had Cavalry support from the 8th Missouri arrive from your very own Holden, MO action.

After a church service was held in town we returned to our encampments. To our amazement and utter disbelief we heard reports that General Sterling Price came and addressed the town and ask for volunteers to fill his villainous ranks. We thought it must be an imposter but the town folk believed it to be true. They said he made a stirring speech and that several men visiting from neighboring counties joined up right then and there. If that be true, he is as brave and reckless as it has been rumored for we controlled the town.

Just before lunch it was determined that if General Price was able to come into town unmolested there must have been southern sympathizer protecting him. I asked Lt George and Commodore Duff to clear the town of such. As our command approached the cabins a fight ensued. The fight was stopped to allow women children to vacate the cabins, unfortunately some might have been shot down as they exited, for some of the men thought that the women were actually men dressed in women clothing. The fighting was heavy but we once again cleared the town of rebels. We had 10 men wounded with 4 killed. The rebels causalities were 15 wounded 8 killed and 5 women killed. One of the women was killed after the fight had ended but she just kept wallering about her dead relative and someone put her out of our misery. An investigation will ensue.

Again we were asked to escort gold to the mill in exchange for grain. This time we were not harassed at all as we entered town. I believe this is why our guard was down. Hit hard from the left by Cavalry and on front and rear by dismounted infantry we were to the edge of town where we took heavy causalities from cannonade. We lost at least 10 men from the 21st and 4 from the home guard. Fearing the worse we still had to leave our wounded to the mercies of the rebels.

Licking our wounds we regrouped and decided on one more push for the day. Meeting the rebels outside of the little hamlet, this time we had the artillery support and cavalry support. The Home guard troops fought bravely until they completely ran out of ammunition. A note here is that with all the fighting, all of the troops ran very low on ammunition. I must strongly urge that if we are to keep the good unionist of Dade and surrounding counties protected we must have supplies. Please do all you can to resupply our men with ammunition, food stuffs and uniforms as soon as possible. We anchored on the right flank of the artillery and pushed those rebels from the town and from the county. Causalities were 3 wounded. Rebel causalities where 10 killed and none left wounded.

Lt George and Commodore Duff directed their troops admirably.

We now stand in control of the area and are awaiting your orders. If I have no other correspondence I will force march the men under my command to Pipestone, MN on or about August 14th of this year.

Your humble and obedient servant, 

Daniel Keith

Acting Major

Commander of all Union forces at Hulston Mill, MO 

Make a free website with Yola