4th Mo Co E, Lexington, MO Sep 17th-18th, 2011


The Good:

1.       Good battalion numbers.

2.       The actual hemp bale battle. It was really good.

3.       The Federals showing true class in their surrender.

4.       Rain stopping for both battles

The Bad:

1.       The constant rain or mist. Actually it wasn’t that bad. It added to the mystic of the event.

2.       One road in or out.


The Ugly:

1.       Cars/trucks/trailers in the camp. You would have thought it was a Wilsons Creek redo.

2.       Me making everyone sing songs in camp. I should have kept it to period songs.

3.       Someone throwing corn at the Federals as they surrendered.


Soldier in attendance:

Captain Daniel Keith

1st Lieutenant Scott George (Sun)

2nd Lieutenant Laurence Bryan

1st Sergeant Jacob Delker

2nd Sergeant Jim Bearden

Corporal John Ezell

Private Diz Carver

Private Jimmie Church

Private Douglas Cobern

Private Kenneth DuBerry

Private Anthony Eden

Private Alex Ezell

Private Gabriel Gonzalez

Private Joel Luker

Private Jim Moran                                         

Private Anthony Venute


Civilians in attendance:

Carolyn Carver

Nicholas DuBerry

Alyssa Gonzalez

Ana Gonzalez

Sara Gonzalez

Katelyn Spencer

Teri Spenser


After Action Report:


Major Sam Looney:


I am pleased to report that the 4th Missouri made the march to Lexington with General Sterling Price and proudly performed their duty in helping to reduce the Federal forces at Lexington, Missouri into surrender. It was beautiful sight. After our grand victory at Oaks Hill (Wilsons Creek) and now at Lexington, my men and I are buoyant with anticipation of a Missouri free from meddling Northerners and their Dutch hirelings.


We arrived on Friday evening, 15th of September. At your insistence, after set up camp for the men between the Ninth Texas and the Tenth Missouri we placed our civilian entourage at the end of the battalion streets.


Firewood was in short supply but began to be procured through forging expeditions.


Saturday, the 16th of September we woke up to constant drizzle of rain but the temperature being cool was not cold. After breakfast acting Second Lieutenant Laurence Bryan instructed the acting First Sergeant Jacob Delker to drill the men by the NCOs in small squads. After a short break Colonel Brad Amend took the battalion out for some battalion maneuvers. Obviously, the 4th is behind the times for only our men were stilling using Scott’s Manual of Infantry Military Tactics. I have obtained a copy of Hardees’s new manual and will be begin training the men while still in winter quarters.


As we stationed ourselves to push against the enemy works the lined up the men were tense with expectation. It was somewhat disconcerting that we marched so calmly in front of the enemy’s fortified breast works with our flanks so exposed. The Federals were able to get two battalion volleys right into our flanks before we fronted and faced them. Luckily for us, they were terrible shots.  We pushed hard against withering and constant fire from the enemy. Although, we came close to works we were unable to withstand the constant punishment from their rapid fire. As we withdrew we endured their taunts and tirades. I believe this steeled the men for the coming conflict.


As we withdrew to camp we had the knowledge that we would attack again the next day and exact our revenge. Apparently the locals were confident in our coming victory because the put on a dance for all to enjoy. Even some of the Federals were able to sneak past the lines and join in the fun.


The next day I conducted a church service for a few of the civilians and soldiers that were willing to walk to a nearby barn for shelter out of the constant rain.


After lunch we again lined up to attack those Federals the rain stopped and we had a clear path to victory. General Sterling Price in all is wisdom had decided to use hemp bales cover to roll up to the breast works of the Federals. The Federals tried to resist with shot from musket and cannon but it was a fruitless effort. Our approach brought us within 50 yards when the Federal commander realized futility of further resistance. It was our time to taunt the defeated. A few of my men shot wildly into the air after the cease fire was commanded, but you must remember that they are militia and not hardened soldiers. Hopefully, this war will be over before we have to instill that much discipline into the men.


After our victory our men broke camp. We are head to Osceola, Missouri for winter quarters. There is some talk of joining the Confederate Army there, although I think the war will cease long before such a drastic measure is needed.


All to Missouri!


Your obedient servant,



Captain Daniel Keith


Make a free website with Yola